Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
I am currently involved in research on gender-based and interpersonal violence in Tanzania, El Salvador, and Israel/Palestine.
In my advocacy in the prevention of war, I served as Vice President of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW) and President of Physicians for Global Survival (PGS). I have also spoken about small arms at the UN General Assembly.
- Applications of Science-Based Decision-Making: Medicine, Environment and International Affairs
- Ask The Right Questions
- Bombs Are Not The Answer
- Committing suicide while depressed is easier when a gun is at hand
- Confronting the small arms pandemic
- Deadly addiction: India and Pakistan on the nuclear brink
- Do No Harm: Towards a Hippocratic Standard for International Civilization
- Economic sanctions: the kinder, gentler alternative?
- Free doctors and medical students detained in Nepal
- Hair Trigger Response Won’t help the West
- Human Security: An Extended and Annotated International Bibliography Comparison of Human Security Definitions
- Is military action ever justified? A physician defends the ‘Responsibility to Protect’
- Just war, psychology and terrorism
- Nuclear Naysayers Aiming For Prevention: International Medical Conference on Small Arms, Gun Violence, and Injury
- Operation Infinite Injustice: Impact of Sanctions and Prospective War on the People of Iraq Small Arms and Health
- Preventing the Adverse Health Effects of Small Arms
- Properly Diagnose Terrorism and Work for a Just Response
- Re-Envisioning Sovereignty The End of Westphalia?
- Reasons to be Fearful
- Response: “Up in Arms: Why Gun Control is Critical for Canada”
- Small Arms: A Political or Public Health Discussion?
- Small Arms and Health in Canada and the United States
- The International Small Arms Situation: A Public Health Approach
- There Are Alternatives to War
- U.S. offers little hope for Iraq peace